From Centre for Bioinformatics and Computational Biology
Revision as of 02:01, 15 August 2018 by Johann
Please familiarise yourself thoroughly with the following:
- All users should use the PBS Torque queue manager for submitting jobs.
- Please do not run jobs directly on the main headnode wonko.bi.up.ac.za.
- Computing resources are managed by the queuing system.
- Storage resources however, have user quotas, and are billed for, according to our billing policy (See Storage Quotas and Charges).
- Both users, and their supervisors should familiarise themselves with the quota system, and the costs incurred.
- Home directories - every user gets allocated 500 GB on the file server at /home/<username>. The purpose of this is to serve as a landing spot when you log in, and for storing documents and similar files. It is expressly not intended for research data.
- Data directories - every user also gets allocated by default 1 TB on our fast Lustre storage at /nlustre/users/<username>.
- This is where your large files must go, and where you should process from, and store towards during processing.
- This storage must not be used for backup of any other systems or data. Its intended for bona fide research activities only.
- The home directories get backed up daily with a retention period of 2 weeks for multiple versions.
- Due to its size, the Lustre directories only gets replicated (twice per week at present). Our intention is to try and replicate every night if possible.